Monday, September 14, 2009

Navy Life

I tell you what, sometimes being in the Navy sucks - and yes I consider myself in the Navy right along with all the other spouses out there sucking it up. There are so many benefits that we try to make the most of, traveling and getting to visit lots of places we might never have seen, living places most people may never even visit, free health care, steady income, etc. But there are so many things that make life difficult. The most obvious of course is deployment - having the person you love most gone for 6 months (a year in the Army!) is so difficult, it changes everything. But not so obvious, and the one that hurts the most right now is the friendships that come and go with the Navy. When everyone is moving every couple of years and on different schedules, you meet people and never know how quickly they will leave. So on one hand you learn to bond quickly, I mean we have things in common that people in the real world don't understand and so friendships develop quickly. But on the other hand, that friend that you come to depend on leaves six months later so, well it sucks. I guess the bright side is that someday I'll have friends in every Navy town around the globe. But having had a good friend leave this weekend all I can see is the downside - being lonely sucks.

2 comments:

  1. You and all the other military spouses are so courageous and I appreciate the fact that you all support the other half. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is and making and losing a friend is really tough, however, through the internet, the world has become a little smaller. I know that doesn't help very much but... You're a tough cookie and very proud of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU SO MUCH! I'm so bummed I didn't get to see you before we left.

    ReplyDelete