When we moved to Japan I knew that I would get a chance to interact with Japanese people. I mean, that's to be expected. But I sort of thought that it would be a more "hello, goodbye" sort of thing since I speak zero Japanese. I've been intrigued by Japanese culture for a while, but thought that as a people they might be aloof, although extremely polite. This way of thinking could not be further from the truth.
Now, let me first say that there are bad apples wherever you go. There are some older people here who weren't happy to see Americans viewing their religious parades and there was even a young man who hissed at us while we were walking the dogs one night. But all in all, we've been welcomed with open arms.
It all started with our neighbor Yumi, who welcomed us into the neighborhood with a pasta casserole that we devoured after a full day of moving in. She took us under her wing, introducing us around. We threw a BBQ and through a welcome miscommunication Yumi invited 30 of her friends (that includes their kids) (oh, and when she asked how many people she could invite, we thought she was asking how many people were coming - thereby doubling the number of people who showed up). Through that BBQ I met many of the families who's kids would become my students.
Yumi arranged lunches and shopping trips with me and the other moms. Masami taught Mack and I the art of calligraphy. Ayako translated for everybody patiently and always with a smile. Yoko invited us into her home for our goodbye party. These ladies were affectionately nicknamed "my mommies" because that's exactly how they acted. They truly wanted us to be the best of friends, something I never expected.
Today they all gathered together as we checked out with our realtor, and then stood waving goodbye as we drove off. Tears flowed and hugs abounded. Let me tell you, both of those are touching more than I can say, because neither is common in their culture. It was both heartbreaking, and yet gratifying to know that they had come to love me as I had them.
Keeping in touch is difficult when you move every couple of years, but I hope we all are able even across oceans. They will be missed.


leaving is sooo very bittersweet, but to have cherished friendships across the lands and through the years are so worth the effort. I know you will be missed as much as you will miss them. But selfishly, I'm so glad you and Mack will be so much closer to ME!
ReplyDelete