Friday, August 28, 2009

I love cooking books

I love reading books about stuff I love to do. Like fiction books about knitters - Friday Night Knitting Club anyone? I think reading these books always gets me all inspired and junk to dive in and get busy. I pick back up my needles and set to. Well recently I ordered a new book on another favorite thing of mine - cooking. I downloaded it onto my kindle (sooooo wonderful and also one of my favorite things) and started reading last night. And just finished it. Julie and Julia - one of my new favorites!! And seriously, it's funny, inspiring, down-to-earth, and just all around fabulous. Did I say inspiring? I already hopped into the kitchen and made the first recipe she cooks from Mastering the Art of French Cooking (which I happened to have ordered and received recently). The recipe is for potage parmentier otherwise known as leek and potato soup. And uh, can I say YUM! Mmmm, delicious smells and my mouth is singing. This is like the best yummy day ever. You see, today Emily and I went to lunch and she took me to a new place outside of base. It's called Nawlins - oh yeah. It's owned by a former Navy guy and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Fried catfish y'all - in Japan. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly fried, perfectly placed on perfect french bread to make a perfect po'boy. Yes I really did need to say perfect that many times. It was that good. So good that as soon as Mack steps off that ship I'm driving over there so he can also taste perfection. Mmmm. What a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw the movie Julie and Julia with my sister and we LOVED it! I am so impressed you cooked that dish! I really want to get Julia Childs cook book and make myself try some recipes. I love your posts about food.:)I wish I could try all of the fun foods you have tried. What a great experience. I am so jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, don't be impressed it was easier than throwing a jar of spaghetti on! We aren't getting the movie here and I'm going to have to wait until it comes out! You two give each other hugs from Mack and I!

    ReplyDelete