So yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a festival at the Japan National Defense Academy here in Yokosuka. I have to admit though, when my friend Ayako invited me she called it the "Self-Defense University" and dumb me thought "wow they have a whole school for karate!?". Needless to say it's actually their version of West Point or the Naval Academy. They are only open to the public a couple of days a year so its apparently a pretty big deal. It's a nice enough campus, although having visited West Point you really just can't compare the two. This is a fairly modern academy and it shows.
But my spirits were quickly uplifted when this "elite" band joined the main one and we got this performance. I'm pretty sure you would never see the cadets doing this in Annapolis.
It was a fun day, although I admit I expected a bit more from a "festival" that only happens two days a year! But, hey, any cultural experience is fun right?!


No comments:
Post a Comment